View folding progress without GUI on UNIX systems[edit | edit source | hide]
- To track your folding progress without using a GUI on a UNIX or UNIX-like operating system, view the file
- You can selectively view the last x lines of the log file, for example:
tail -19 /var/lib/fahclient/log.txt
- Folding is different from mining cryptocurencies utilising PoW. There are many mining things aren't applicable for folding.
- Each CPU or GPU is a folding slot, and each of them can simultaneously work on a single work unit only. A work unit is strictly assigned to a slot and cannot be interfered by another slot. Therefore, you can't use different GPUs or CPUs to fold a work unit.
- If the GPU is unstable while performing the simulation, that work will be lost and a new Work Unit requested. Repeated failures can cause your GPU to be disabled by your client and impact the research project. Only overclock if you know what you are doing.
- If you were to overclock your GPU, focus on clockcore as this will give a significant performance boost.
- The bonus is activated when you complete 10 work units (failed WUs count) after adding the passkey. You get bonus points from the 11th work unit if it is finished before timeout. One passkey can work for multiple users. Folding with a new passkey resets your bonus. If your completion rate is smaller than 80%, the bonus is deactivated. Check passkey bonus here: apps.foldingathome.org/bonus.
Complete the work as fast as possible by reducing the times you pause, and folding continously.
Checkpointing results in a spike in CPU utilisation. The more frequent the checkpointing is, the less folding progress you may lose, but it decreases overall performance.
- Open Advanced control.
- Click on the "Configure" button in the top left of the F@HControl client software.
- Go on the "Slots" tab and add/remove whichever folding slot you want to.
- Click "Save".
Prevent Folding@home client from folding on start[edit | edit source | hide]
Add the option
pause-on-start and set the
true value for this.
Prevent Folding@home client from running on start[edit | edit source | hide]
HideConsole.exe from Start up on Task manager.
sudo systemctl disable foldingathome
sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.foldingathome.fahclient.plist
sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.foldingathome.fahclient.plist
Make Folding@home client run on start[edit | edit source | hide]
Uninstall the folding client and reinstall with the run on start option enabled.
- Console v6 clients have: small <5 MB, normal 5-10 MB, and big >10 MB. Big is not recommended for clients with very small RAM or extremely slow internet (dial-up) as work units can become corrupted when transmitted.
Each project works on a specific cause. When you select a cause to fold on, you will only get assigned projects in the field you chose. However, when no work units in the range are available, the system may give you a task from other causes.
High priority is an option first introduced in 2020. Certain projects fall into this category as demand for a cure for a disease raises.
Q: Where do I start folding?
A: Download the F@H client from: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/
Q: When will I be paid?
A: First payment is normally within 24-36 hours of completing first Work Unit (green bar goes to 100%) as long as you complete at least 2 work units across two 12 hour periods. You can validate your configuration and check your stats at F@H Stats - Monkey 2 Monkey or Nanners.cc.
Q: Can I use anything as my name?
A: No. Enter your Banano address into Bananominer.com and it will provide you with a name and a team number. Enter these into the Folding@Home config panel. If you don't have these set correctly, you will not be paid. Copy and paste to ensure it's correct.
Q: How much will I get paid for < 1,000 points?
A: As of 20 March 2023, the threshold for payouts is about 3310 points. You will get nothing until you accumulate at least 3310 points. For points to reward estimation, use F@H Points-to-Banano Calculator.
Q: Why do I get no bonus points?
A: It is likely you don't have a passkey set if you are earning that few points. Get a passkey from apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey using any email and username you like. After 10 completed work units you will receive a much larger reward from folding.
Q: How much Banano can I earn from folding?
A: The exact point to Banano ratio is continuously being adjusted to find a good balance of distribution, decided by the Banano team. This is a faucet and not like traditional mining.
Q: Why have my payouts been reduced?
A: This is likely due to rebalancing of payouts.
Q: I took a break from folding but now I'm not being paid. Can you fix it?
A: You can fix it yourself by entering your Banano address into the Bananominer website again. You should receive a payment on the next pay cycle if you have pending points.
Q: The distribution wallet is empty. Will I still be paid?
A: If faucet wallet is empty, it is safe to continue folding. You will be paid all missing payments once it has been topped up again.
Q: Why am I only getting the Base Credit for my completed work units?
A: Your Quick Return Bonus (Passkey Bonus) is not active. A quick return bonus requires 80% successful completion rate of work units, and 10 work units completed after entering the passkey into the client.
Q: I have received payments before, and have pending Work Units after a pay window?
A: If Folding@Home does not report a work unit 12 hours before a payout, the bananominer script will not send a payment. Complete another work unit to be included in the next window.
Q: My GPU is only reporting 10-30% utlization in Task Manager?
A: Task manager misreports GPU utilisation for Folding@Home. Change to CUDA or Compute depending on Nvidia or AMD GPU or use HWinfo/alternative monitoring software.
Q: Where does folding client keep its files by default?
A: On Windows:
/var/lib/fahclient. config.xml file is located in